Friday, January 28, 2011

Pretentious Elitism/Elitist Pretension AKA Reviews!

Deerhoof- Deerhoof vs. Evil (Polyvinyl- 2011)
~ Paul Mattson
80
Upon first listen to Deerhoof's latest, I immediately noticed a more polished sound than on previous albums.  At first this concerned me, as I feared that more time spent in postproduction would result in a loss of the rawness and primitive appeal  that I had come to attribute to the band.  But turns out change is good.  

Even though sounding more produced they still retain their trademark quirkiness.  The playfulness of the music has been enhanced by studio trickery rather than hidden behind it and feels like a natural  evolution for the band.  It reminds me of the direction bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Blonde Redhead have recently taken their music in, but I think Deerhoof has managed to do it with fewer sacrifices.

And while this represents a turning point for Deerhoof, it is by no means a radical departure from past efforts.  In fact the listener is reminded of the band's heritage by the inclusion of a live performance of  fan favorite Panda Panda Panda.

I’m scoring this one with a solid 80 out of 100.  Infectious pop music doesn’t get much more endearing than this.  Standouts include Behold a Marvel in the Darkness, Super Duper Rescue Heads, and  I Did Crimes for You.

For Fans of: Field Music, Yeah Yeah Yeahs

No comments:

Post a Comment