Saturday, February 19, 2011

PeeP on PoP- Oh No! Oh My!


Oh No! Oh My!- People Problems (Koenig- 2011)
~by Paul Mattson
 65

I'd like to preface my review by saying that Oh No! Oh My!’s debut album,  Between the Devil and the Sea (2006), is a personal favorite (it fits somewhere in the lower half of my all-time top ten). Between… was a smile inducing record, brimming with talent and charm. I know I'm not reviewing that album, but it's hard for me not to compare their newer work to it. They seem to have taken themselves more seriously with each newer recording while still retaining the whimsical quality of the songs. Until now.

People Problems ditches the catchy simplicity of hook heavy folk pop in favor of more sophisticated fair. The music on People Problems is meticulously crafted and eloquent, but sometimes less is more. Not to say that the songs aren't engaging, but they fail to amuse me in the same way they have in the past. This is not their typical "feel good" style, and that can be a bit off putting at first. This album comes from a darker place than previous efforts, and this is evident in the lyrics and tranquil mood of the songs. My smiles have been replaced by self reflection. It's like when your favorite comedian decides to switch to drama.

My personal viewpoints aside, People Problems is a quality endeavor. The band manages to visit new territory without appearing pretentious or naive. I just hope this is a side trip.

For Fans of: The Shins, Ok Go 

No comments:

Post a Comment