Saturday, April 9, 2011

Peep on Pop- We are Enfant Terrible

We are Enfant Terrible- Explicit Pictures (PIL Records- 2011)
~by Paul Mattson

 90

A beautiful sunny day in Portland in early April! " How is that possible?", you ask. The only logical explanation is that Spring was ushered in by the arrival of this album. A bright, bombastic overdose of vitamin D brimming with tracks designed for the sole purpose of being blasted on a summer day. I want to dawn a trench coat and stand outside your window with a giant boom box hoisted above my head declaring my love for this record.

Seriously I haven't had this much fun listening to music in a long while. The catchy hook filled tunes are charged with playfully energy, reminiscent of early Devo. I dare you to listen to this and not at least tap your foot. A near perfect fusion of retro beats and infectious riffs. This album is responsible for me cleaning my house.

My only real problem are the vocals. While both of the bands vocalists (Thomas Fourny, and Clo Floret) do an adequate job, a voice as upbeat as the music would have been a better fit. But that is a minor complaint. You'd be hard pressed to find a better soundtrack to celebrate the coming of Summer. Please excuse me now while I drag my Weber out of the garage to go barbecue in the rain.


For Fans of: Devo, Stereo Total, LCD Soundsystem


No comments:

Post a Comment